The 2016 Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1st. Hurricanes can produce winds of more than 155 miles per hour along with heavy rains and flying debris. Is your home prepared? Getting your home ready takes time and money, and is best done in advance. Here is a handy list of things that you (or our team of experienced professionals) can take care of before the season starts.
- Storm-guard your home. Make sure that gutters are clear of debris and are in good shape. Our team can make sure your gutters are prepared for any unexpected disasters.
- Put head and foot bolts on entry doors. This will give your doors extra protection against strong winds.
- Purchase and install storm shutters. Make sure they are fairly thick and made of exterior grade wood.
- Caulk around windows and doors. This will prevent rain getting inside, reducing the chance of moisture-causing mold after a heavy storm.
- Trim branches and shrubbery. Short branches will reduce the chance of any flying debris.
- Take a look at your home insurance policy. Make sure it includes wind damage. If it does not, consider adding it to your policy.
- Purchase a generator and learn how to use it. Also keep backup batteries and an emergency kit at the ready.
- Have a home watch team on your side. Planning on being away during hurricane season? Our team can quickly and effectively check on your house and assess any damage. Give us a call to set up your home consultation!
One thought on “Prepare Your Home for Hurricane Season”
I’m already getting my home ready. Thanks for these tips!
Comments are closed.